The mission of the Department of Computing’s Equity and Inclusion Committee is to create actionable and measurable plans aimed at accelerating progress, identifying opportunities, and affecting positive change in departmental policies, procedures and activities, and spaces for the purpose of increasing and diversifying the department's student, faculty, and staff population to create and better reflect a more diverse and equitably environment for all.
The Department of Computing’s Equity and Inclusion Committee is committed to the following goals:
- To diversify faculty, staff, and student populations
- To create and promote an inclusive and safe learning environment
- To ensure equitable access to resources and opportunities
The Department of Computing’s Equity and Inclusion Committee will work towards these goals through the following objectives:
- Define, promote, and use equitable practices in the workplace and in the classroom.
- Review departmental policies that relate to diversity, equity, and inclusion and make recommendations for amendments as well as implementation, when deemed necessary.
- Collaborate with other departmenal committees to create proposals, policies, activities, events, and best practices for attracting, retaining, and interacting with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
- Actively promote diversity initiatives on campus and supporting those students, faculty, and staff who participate in such activities.
- Continually review literature and other research to make certain that ETSU's Department of Computing remains actively engaged in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
2021-2022 Committee Action Plans
- [O1, O2, O5] Construct the committee's guiding documents that state the mission, vision, and objectives of the committee and how they aligh to the department, college, and university strategic plans related to DEI intitiatives.
- [O2, O5] Conduct a department-facing faculty climate survey to help identify issues and create a baseline machanism to collect, track, and report data related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- [O1, O5] Create a classroom/instructional resource for promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom.
- [O2, O3, O5] Compile a repository of departmental policies for both the sutdent and faculty/staff and conduct a needs assessment to determine any gaps, redundancy, or areas to address for the purpose of improving and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- [GO] Recruit mentors and mentees for the department's Mentoring (ETSU-CM) program.
- [GO] Identify campus and community-sponsored events that are happening during the semester and encourage student/faculty participation.