Qualifications & Application
The Midway Honors Scholars program accepts 20 scholars and two alternates
The Midway Honors Scholars program accepts 40 scholars with funding each year for fall matriculation. Additional students can be accepted without scholarship funding.
Please read all of the following.
To be considered for admission, all applicants must provide evidence of:
- A college GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- An earned associate degree or at least 30 credit hours
from a community college or 4-year college/university;
- Community and school service and other leadership activities;
- Commitment to pursue a baccalaureate degree at
ETSU's Johnson City campus.
- Currently enrolled ETSU students, non-degree seeking students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for admission to this program.
- If you are graduating from high school in Spring 2021 with dual-enrollment credit (even an associate degree), ETSU will classify you as an incoming freshman and you are not eligible for the MHS program.
- For transfers, your first semester at ETSU must be Fall 2021 to be eligible to apply.
If you have questions about your eligibility to apply for the ETSU Midway Honors Scholars Program or the application submission process, please Contact Us.
The Application Deadline for Fall 2021 is March 15, 2021. The application is now live.
If order to apply for Fall 2021:
- You must complete the general application for admission to ETSU and provide an official
copy of your transcript to the Admissions Office. You will also have to send an unofficial
copy of your transcript to the Midway Program (email MHScholars@etsu.edu). For more information concerning the application process for admission to ETSU,
please visit the Admissions How to Apply web page.
- Make sure to review the minimum qualifications (see above) for admission to the MHS Scholars Program to make sure you are eligible.
- Gather the information you need to apply. This is important as the application must
be submitted as one document. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- Information for the online resume form, including:
- Scholastic Honors
- School-related extracurricular activities, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Community volunteer service, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
Other activities (sports, arts, etc.)
- Work experience
- A formal Cover Letter to the Midway Honors Scholars Review Committee that includes why you are interested in becoming an ETSU Midway Honors Scholar, relevant skills and knowledge that make you an exceptional candidate for this program, how you will benefit from the program, and how you will contribute to the program.
- Your one-page Application Essay. The reviewers will be looking for the following in
your essay: originality and creativity; strong point or argument; evidence of care,
effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar, structure and language.
- 2021 Essay Prompt: A central goal of the Honors College is for you to create a remarkable story as an ETSU honors student that advances the Honors College’s own remarkable story. With our help, we want you to go beyond classroom excellence and become a positive agent for change through meaningful and purposeful work that betters your life, your community, and the world. Write an essay in which you (a) describe one experience that has contributed to your own remarkable story and helped shape who you are today, (b) discuss at least one experience that you hope to have as an ETSU honors student that will advance your own story, and (c) explain how your story intersects with and contributes to the larger story of the Honors College.
- Contact information (email) for three academic references. We recommend contacting your references ahead of time to ensure that they are willing and able to provide a reference. Once you apply, a reference form will automatically be sent to your references by the email addresses you provide. All three of your references will have to complete this form and return it to us before the application deadline for your application to be considered complete. For this reason, be sure to submit your portion of the application well in advance of the March 15 deadline.