Qualifications & Application
The Midway Honors Scholars program accepts 20 scholars and two alternates
The Midway Honors Scholars program accepts 40 scholars with funding each year for fall matriculation. Additional students can be accepted without scholarship funding. Please read all of the following before beginning your application.
To be considered for admission, all applicants must provide evidence of:
- A college GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- An earned associate degree or at least 30 credit hours from a community college or 4-year college/university;
- Community and school service and other leadership activities;
- Commitment to pursue a baccalaureate degree at ETSU's Johnson City campus.
- Currently enrolled ETSU students, non-degree seeking students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for admission to this program.
- If you are graduating from high school in Spring 2021 with dual-enrollment credit (even an associate degree), ETSU will classify you as an incoming freshman and you are not eligible for the MHS program.
- For transfers, your first semester at ETSU must be Fall 2021 to be eligible to apply.
If you have questions about your eligibility to apply for the ETSU Midway Honors Scholars Program or the application submission process, please Contact Us.
The Application Deadline for Fall 2022 will be March 15, 2021. The application will
be live October 1, 2021.
If order to apply for Fall 2021:
- You must complete the general application for admission to ETSU and provide an official
copy of your transcript to the Admissions Office. For more information concerning
the application process for admission to ETSU, please visit the Admissions How to Apply web page.
- Make sure to review the minimum qualifications (see above) for admission to the MHS Scholars Program to make sure you are eligible.
- Gather the information you need to apply. This is important as the application must
be submitted as one document. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- A current academic resume, including information on:
- Scholastic Honors
- School-related extracurricular activities, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Community volunteer service, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
Other activities (sports, arts, etc.)
- Leadership Experience
- Work experience
- A formal Cover Letter to the Midway Honors Scholars Review Committee that includes why you are interested in becoming an ETSU Midway Honors Scholar, relevant skills and knowledge that make you an exceptional candidate for this program, how you will benefit from the program, and how you will contribute to the program.
- Your one-page Application Essay. The reviewers will be looking for the following in
your essay: originality and creativity; strong point or argument; evidence of care,
effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar, structure and language.
- 2022 Essay Prompt: the prompt will be available on October 1, 2021.
- Contact information (name, title, and email addresses) for your three academic references. Choose individuals who know you well, particularly in terms of your academic achievement, your potential for honors work at the university, and your ability to work with others, persevere, and distinguish yourself. Faculty members are particularly able to address your abilities in these areas. These individuals must send a letter of recommendation via email to MHScholars@etsu.edu by March 15. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all reference letters are submitted by the deadline.