- Virtual Recreation
- Membership Information & Services
- Campus Recreation Facilities
- Fitness & Wellness
- Intramural Sports
- Outdoor Adventure
- Sport Clubs
- Working at Campus Rec
- Contact Us
New Student Adventures for Summer 2020 has been canceled.
Campus Recreation New Student Adventures
Meet up with other new student, make new friends and explore outdoor destinations near-by ETSU.
Our objectives are to help students gain confidence, build relationships and explore the East Tennessee geographic region while participating in outdoor activities.
There are two different types of New Student Adventures varying in length and intensity.
1. Extended Overnight Orientation - during certain orientation dates we will offer an evening of activities at tthe Basler Center for Physical Activity (CPA) including riding on the Zip Wires at the Basler Challenge Course. On the next day we will visit 2 prominent outdoor destinations in our region; Roan Mountain for a short hike with expansive views and Watauga Lake for paddling on the crystal clear waters of a mountain lake.
Cost for this experience is $25, which covers food, overnight lodging and all activities. Sessions are limited to 16 participants each.
Trip Lodging: Overnight lodging will be provided by ETSU Department of Housing and Residence Life.
* Any enrolled Freshman is qualified to participate in any of these trips regardless of their orientation date.
*Sessions begin at the conclusion of orientation on the 1st day and will conclude by approximately 4 pm on the 2nd day.
2. Pre- Semester Multi Day Adventure - For a more intensive New Student Adventure move into your residence hall early and enjoy a few days of sampling outdoor activities close to campus. Spend the first night in your new residence hall and 2 nights out tent camping as a group. We will visit a cave, do some short hikes and paddling activities as well as perform trail service for the US Forest Service. The highlight of this trip will be whitewater rafting on the last day!
Cost for this experience is $100, which covers food, lodging and all activities. Session is limited to 16 participants.
Trip Lodging: Participants will sleep in thier ETSU Residence Halls the first night & tent camp the next 2 nights.
Trip Activities: Trip activities may include: Team building, climbing, rappelling, zip lines, bicycle tour of campus and the local Johnson City area, camping, day hikes, trail service with the U.S. Forest Service, lake and river paddling, as well as fun evening programming.
Fees and registration: The cost of the Pre-Semester Multi-day Adventure is $100 per person, which includes equipment, accommodations, meals and activities. Space is limited, and registration will be completed on a first come first served basis. The full trip fee must be included with application in order to secure a spot.
For more information, please email: OutdoorAdventure@etsu.edu