Even though students are not formally admitted to the program until they have completed 30 credit hours, interested students are encouraged to seek advisement earlier.
Setting up a plan with an advisor for taking classes is very important in being successful in your program of study. For the Human Services degree and the minors offered through the Human Services Program, advisement is required. It is beneficial to set up an advisement session early in starting the course work rather than later. Starting advisement early avoids any problems that may occur in the last few semesters a student is enrolled at East Tennessee State University.
All Human Service majors are now advised by Wendy Sutherland.
Family Studies Dr. Mary Langenbrunner
- Human Development and Learning Dr. Mary Langenbrunner
- Child Life Concentration Dr. Mary Langenbrunner
- Trauma and Resilience Audrey Besch
- Leadership Studies Dr. Debbie Harley-McClaskey
Please note: Two lower division prerequisites are required for entrance into certain of the major courses. The prerequisite courses include:
- Child Psychology-HDAL 2320 or Developmental Life Span Psychology-HDAL 2310 (this course satisfies a General Education requirement),
- Elementary Statistics-PSYC 3100 or Probability and Statistics (Non-Calculus) -MATH 1530 (this course satisfies a General Education requirement).
The preceding required major courses and prerequisites, must be completed with a grade of C - or higher in order to be accepted for major credit. Otherwise they must be repeated.
Want to change your major to Human Services?Whenever you change your major, be mindful that you may be required to take additional coursework in the new major. For information regarding major coursework, contact Wendy Sutherland.
Graduating soon - or thinking about graduation?It is never too early to think about and plan for graduation - that is why you are here, right? It is critical to think about graduation prior to the semester you intend to graduate! To learn more about how to apply to graduate, review the tutorial here! If you have any follow-up questions or need help, you can contact the Graduation Office .