How to Apply
Admission to the Respiratory Therapy program is a competitive process and is separate from the student's admission to ETSU. A limited number of students are admitted annually. Please note that the program has one start date per year, and that is for the fall semester.
Students must be admitted both to the university and to the program, requiring separate application processes. Admission to the university does not ensure admission to the program.
Application deadline is May 15. Please read Application Process section below before applying. Apply Here
All students interested in applying to the Respiratory Therapy program should contact our on-campus advisor, Emily Daugherty, to schedule an advisement appointment. Periodic advising is recommended.
Current ETSU Students: Schedule with Emily Here
Prospective ETSU students, call 423-439-5051 to get scheduled with Emily.
Candidate Admission Eligibility
Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements:
- Minimum college GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Complete required prerequisites with a minimum grade of C- or better
- Complete 16 credit hours (minimum) from the general education core (NOT including
prerequisite courses) maintaining a 2.5 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale
Prerequisites for the Program
All prerequisites to the Respiratory Therapy program must be completed by the end of the spring semester a student plans to apply.
ETSU Associated Course
|Anatomy and Physiology I Lecture and Lab||HSCI 2010/11|
|Anatomy and Physiology II Lecture and Lab||HSCI 2020/21|
|Introduction to Microbiology Lecture and Lab||HSCI 2230/31|
|Any College-Level Chemistry Course Lecture and Lab||CHEM 1030 or CHEM 1110/1111|
|Introduction to Allied Health||ALHE 2010|
|Patient Care and Assessment||ALHE 2020|
|Probability and Statistics - Noncalculus||MATH 1530|
|Using Information Technology||CSCI 1100 or Proficiency Exam for CSCI 1100|
Allied health prerequisite classes (ALHE 2010 and 2020) will be offered during the summer session before the program begins.
If you are a transfer student and would like to see what courses might transfer over
for ETSU, please refer to our Transfer Equivalency Table or contact our admissions team.
- All applicants are required to view the AARC video "Life and Breath" before applying
- Submit a 1-2 page essay on why they want to enter the profession of Respiratory Therapy and why they are a "good fit" for the profession in the application portal
- Apply by May 15th
- Overall GPA - calculated at the end of the spring semester a student applies
- Science GPA - (consisting of A&P I, A&P II, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Prob & Stats) - calculated at the end of the spring semester a student applies
Additional Criteria to Enhance Acceptance
Clinical Observation - Students may fill out the clinical observation form for additonal points towards application. Students who wish to complete observation hours with a Ballad Health facility will find information and the application to observe here.
*Note: Clinical observation hours are not mandatory for consideration as an applicant for the program, but they are strongly encouraged.
Female applicants are advised that a pregnancy policy, inclusive of the NRCs regulations regarding the declared pregnant student (declared pregnant worker), and student matriculation options have been adopted.