International Student and Scholar Services
List of International Student Scholarships
International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
The International Students Academic Merit Scholarship is available to eligible new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree.
- Apply for admission to ETSU undergraduate admissions, graduate admissions)
- Have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa (F-1 Visa information, J-1 Visa information).
- Have a demonstrated record of academic achievement.
All applicants who meet the following criteria will be considered for the scholarship:
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA on the US 4.0 scale (freshman applicants)
- Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on the US 4.0 scale (undergraduate transfer applicants and graduate applicants)
- Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will receive notice of the award in their admission letter. For undergraduate students who wish to accept the scholarship, you must complete and submit a scholarship acceptance form during the new student check-in process.
Scholarship Value per Academic Year.
Undergraduate students: Up to $12,500
Graduate students: Masters level students up to $5000 and Doctoral students up to $9,000
Award Terms and Conditions:
Undergraduate students: up to 8 semesters provided the minimum eligibility requirements are maintained.
Graduate Students: Five semesters for recipients seeking a master's degree, or commensurate with the length of the program.
Scholarship may not be combined with other scholarships that cover tuition costs (Creative Arts, Honors in Discipline, Grad Assistantship, Graduate Tuition Scholarship, Government funding, Fulbright grants, etc. Scholarship cannot be used when students are paying in-state, or Erate tuition.
Other conditions as outlined in the Acceptance Form.
Students Ineligible for the Merit Scholarship:
- Second Bachelor's degree applicants, if previous Bachelor's degree was granted by ETSU.
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship
- Students receiving any other ETSU tuition scholarship
- Students paying in-state or Erate tuition.
- Students applying for the M.D. and PharmD programs
- Students who are not in lawful F-1 or J-1 status
For questions, please contact: ISSS@etsu.edu
GA & TS
Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships - Graduate Students Only
International graduate students may apply for graduate assistantships (GA) and tuition scholarships (TS). A GA or TS is a service scholarship that requires the recipient to perform services in exchange for receiving a tuition and maintenance fee waiver. GA and TS scholarships can waive as much as full tuition (GA positions also include a monthly stipend). Before applying for a GA or TS, international students must be admitted to ETSU as graduate students. Only students in their first period of enrollment as graduate students at ETSU may apply for a TS.
For more information, requirements, and procedures, see the school of graduate studies assistantship information web page.
The Honors College offers programs of study which include the possibility of scholarship funding. International students may apply to the following honors programs:
Global Citizen Scholars (link)
Midway Honors Scholars (link)
Fine and Performing Arts Scholars (link)
Admittance to honors programs is contingent upon meeting program-specific eligibility requirements. Students applying to an honors program may have to provide additional documents that are not required for general university admission. Admission to an honors program is competitive, with limited space available.
Please note that honors students must complete enriched programs of study. Admittance to a program includes the possibility of receiving a scholarship, not a guarantee.
To learn more about honors program admissions requirements, scholarship availability, and application instructions, visit the above links to each program's web page.
Creative Arts & STEM Scholarships
The ETSU Creative Arts Scholarship is awarded to new out-of-state students, including international students, with interests in the arts. Recipients are required to participate in ETSU performing arts or art exhibition activities. Some scholarships require students to major in a particular arts discipline. The scholarship covers out-of-state tuition. Undergraduate and graduate students may apply.
For more information, visit the scholarship office's Creative Arts Scholarship web page.
The ETSU STEM Community Outreach Scholarship provides opportunities for first-time out-of-state students to attend ETSU in the areas of Computing, Geosciences, Mathematics, and Physics and pay in-state tuition rates and fees.
For additional information on the STEM Scholarship, please click on the Stem Outreach
STEM Community Outreach Scholarship
Sister Cities International Student's Scholarship
This Sister Cities International Student's Scholarship Endowment was established by the Sister Cities Chapter of Tri-Cities, TN-VA to honor the organization's mission "to promote peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation," and to generate scholarships for deserving international students enrolled at ETSU.
- Undergraduate and Graduate International students under the F-1 status
- Must have completed at least one semester of study at ETSU, at time of application
- Must have a minimum ETSU grade point average (GPA)
- Enrolled full time
- July 15: Application site will be open for submissions starting on June 1st.
- Will vary depending on availability of funds but no higher than $500 per award. This is a one-time award, payable in the fall term.
Number of Awards:
- Will vary depending on availability of funds but at least 1 per year. Awards are non-renewable.
- A selection committee appointed by International Student and Scholar Services will award the scholarship. The committee shall decide the number of scholarships and the value of each, depending on available funds.
- Complete this Form.
- Attach Unofficial ETSU transcript.