Crime, Addiction, Re-Entry Lab
Dr. Kelly E. Moore's CARE lab is driven by research suggesting that numerous intersecting factors contribute to criminal legal system involvement, and that people in the criminal legal system have high rates of untreated mental health and substance use problems.
We believe clinical psychology can play an important role both in improving the behavioral health of justice-involved populations as well as reducing crime and incarceration.
CARE lab researchers investigate psychological, behavioral, and sociocultural factors that lead individuals into the legal system and contribute to poor adjustment following release from incarceration.
- Research interests include:
- self-stigma and social stigma surrounding criminal involvement and substance use
- mechanisms leading to arrest and/or reincarceration, such as emotion dysregulation, personality disorder symptoms, and substance use
- dissemination and implementation of evidence-based treatments in legal settings
- training for staff members and professionals aimed at reducing stigma