Research Discovery Work Study Positions
EVENTS and DEADLINES:
ETSU is committed to providing undergraduates with quality research experiences. To support participation, the Honors College and the Office of Financial Aid offer a program that gives students an opportunity to discover the "what" and the "how" of research. By working in close collaboration with ETSU faculty, students participate in research activities and professional study that offer the training and knowledge to become successful in their careers.
Research Discovery Program
- Research Discovery student-worker positions are assigned to faculty members in academic departments and are available through either the Federal Work Study (FWS) or Academic Performance Scholarship (APS) programs.
- These positions are intended to provide students with an early, more informal exposure to research and research skills appropriate to different fields.
- A Research Discovery experience can be a great springboard to a more immersive independent study or senior thesis project.
The Undergraduate Experience
A Research Discovery position guarantees that a student worker will be working directly with a faculty member in a research environment, exposed to an on-going research project, and receive work assignments that will train or strengthen research skills.
Tasks include (but are not limited to) such things as library research; general organization duties; computer technology; laboratory, field, or artistic support tasks. Students may be required to undergo special training or workshop sessions (included as required job time) to qualify them for particular duties.
Research Discovery provides a unique opportunity for undergraduate students in all disciplines to experience academic life as they use research to explore, expand, and understand their chosen field of study.
By participating in an undergraduate Research Discovery student work position you will:
- DEVELOP a one-on-one mentoring relationship with an ETSU faculty,
- ENHANCE critical skills in communication, independent thinking, creativity, and problem solving,
- LEARN how research is accomplished and how it contributes to expanding knowledge, and
- PARTICIPATE directly in the University's mission of scientific discovery, scholarly activity and artistic creation.
Students interested in a Research Discovery Position
Check with the Student Worker database on the ETSU Office of Financial Aid website, or talk with your Professor or Department Chair to find out more about Research Discovery opportunities in your field.
Faculty Requests for a Research Discovery Position
Faculty wanting to request a Research Discovery Position should complete the form below.
Trena Paulus, Director, at email@example.com
Chris Keller, Dean of Honors, at firstname.lastname@example.org