Adjunct faculty are defined as all faculty whose temporary appointments are based on demand each semester. Adjunct faculty, extra teaching assignments, graduate assistant and tuition scholar appointments are processed through the eContract system. Please see the Adjunct Faculty Contract Training Guide (see below).
Hiring Adjunct Faculty
- There is no requirement to advertise one-semester temporary faculty/adjunct and/or any position that is less than a one year position and without benefits, but you can if you want/need to.
- New adjunct employees must complete an ETSU job application either in the eJobs system or the paper (pdf) version and attach a curriculum vita.
- Adjunct faculty are required to sign their appointment letter electronically in this system on or before the appointment start date.
- No employee is to be allowed to begin work prior to notification from the Office of Human Resources that the appointment has been approved. Employees who begin work prior to the approval and completion of their required paperwork in the Office of Human Resources will not be paid by East Tennessee State University for the time worked. Department heads that allow potential employees to begin work prior to formal approval may be personally liable for wages due during the period prior to formal approval being obtained.
- Upon initial hire all employees will be required to:
- Sign the appointment letter (if not signed electronically)
- Provide a completed W-4
- Provide a completed Direct Deposit form and attach a voided check if needed.
- Provide a completed page 1 of I-9 form and present your original, unexpired supporting documents. (View list of I-9 Verification Documents)
- Present your original, unexpired supporting document to satisfy the Tennessee Lawful Employment Act (TLEA). The same document may be used to satisfy both the I-9 and TLEA. (View list of TLEA Verification Documents)
- Present your original social security card (for payroll purposes).
For assistance with adjunct contracts, contact the Office of Human Resources at (423) 439-5235 or firstname.lastname@example.org