Temporary Hires and PRN Positions
Temporary employees are generally hired for emergency and/or peak period situations. Temporary positions are defined as those positions expected to last one calendar year or less. Due to the nature of temporary positions, most will not require advertising.
- Temporary employees are appointed for periods of less than one-year.
- Temporary hires are approved for a maximum of one year.
- Temporary contracts may not cross a fiscal year.
- Faculty who are not tenure-track and have a one year appointment are also designated as Temporary.
- All full-time and one year temporary appointments (with benefits) are required to be advertised
- All positions offering benefits must be advertised.
- There is no requirement to advertise one-semester temporary faculty/adjunct and/or any position that is less than a one year position and without benefits.
- No employee is to be allowed to begin work prior to notification from the Office of Human Resources that the appointment has been approved. Department heads that allow potential employees to begin work prior to formal approval may be personally liable for wages due during the period prior to formal approval being obtained.
- Hourly temporary employees are paid on the 15th and the last working day of the month; pay is not current.
- New employees are required to come by the Office of Human Resources (Burgin Dossett Hall, Room 307) to sign their contract and complete all required hiring paperwork before final work authorization is given.
ETSU maintains a pool of applicants who have indicated their desire to work temporary assignments at ETSU. Applicants apply for temporary and PRN positions through the eJobs system and jobs are posted on www.etsu.edu/jobs.
For access to the Temporary Staff Pool, contact Human Resources at HR@etsu.edu for the guest user login. From the posting Applicants tab, enter keywords in the Search box to search for applicants with specific skills. For a quick view of the applicants' skills and education, select the 'Temp Pool Search' from the Saved Searches button. Contact applicants directly to discuss qualifications and availability. Download the Temporary Hire Checklist for guidelines on submitting a temporary hire.
Requests to hire temporary employees must be approved electronically through the Dynamic Forms portal. Please review the Temporary Hire Approval Instructions before submitting. All applicants must have an application on file in the eJobs system.
Information and Forms
- Temporary Hire Checklist
- Temporary Employment Information for Applicants
- Temporary Employee Request to Hire (Form)
- Temporary Contract for Non-Faculty Administrative/Professional and Clerical/Support Staff (Form)
Links to Submit the Forms:
- Academic Temporary Employees (not grant funded)
- Academic Grant-Funded Temporary Employees
- Non-academic, Not grant-funded - Administration; Advancement; Business & Finance; Clinical Affairs; Information Technology; President; Student Life and Enrollment
- Grant/Outside-Funded Temporary - Administration; Advancement; Business & Finance; Clinical Affairs; Information Technology; President; Student Life and Enrollment
Once your dynamic form has completed its routing, you will receive an email from the system. This IS NOT the approval for the employee to begin work. You must wait for the email from Human Resources indicating the employee is cleared to begin work. All employees must have completed section 1 of the I-9 on or before their first day of employment; failure to complete section 1 of the I-9 on or before the first day of employment may result in fines to the hiring department.