All applications must be submitted through Electronic Residency Application Service
(ERAS). The deadline to apply is November 1 of each year.
The General Surgery Residency at East Tennessee State University (ETSU) selects its residents from eligible applicants on the basis of their demonstrated preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communications skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. Our residency does not discriminate in the selection of its residents on the basis, of gender, race, age, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, color, national origin, disability, veterans status, or any other applicable legally protected status. Residents are annually selected via the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), and applications must be received through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) by the specified deadline in order to ensure consideration.
Basic requirements are:
- International Medical Graduates (IMG) are welcome to apply and should have 1 year of United States Clinical Residency experience.
- All applicants should have graduated Medical School within the past 5 years.
- Only J-1 Visas are sponsored at this training institution.
- All applicants are subject to a Criminal Background Check.
- All applicants need three letters of recommendation in addition to a Dean's letter. At least one of these letters should be completed by a member of the surgical faculty and one from the Surgery Chair or Program Director.
- Part 1 and Part 2 CK USMLE score must be available before review of the application.
The Department of Surgery has adopted the following characteristics, which we feel are desirable in surgery applicants:
- interpersonal skills
- scholarship and psychomotor skills
When making application, please provide evidence of your potential in any or all of the above areas.
For further information, please contact our residency office at 423-439-6266.
Surgery Resident and Faculty - 2021