Federal Direct PLUS Loan Procedures
- Student accepts either all or a portion of the PLUS loan online on the student’s GoldLink
account. If the student did not receive a PLUS Loan in the previous year, skip to
- For assistance in viewing/accepting/declining awards, view the GoldLink Guide to Financial Aid.
- The Office of Financial Aid will receive electronic notification of the student’s acceptance.
- Parent/Graduate Students Log In to complete the PLUS Loan MPN and Application at www.studentaid.gov .
- Parents complete the PLUS Request for Parents. Graduate/Professional students complete the PLUS Request for Graduate/Professional Students.
- The PLUS MPN must be completed each academic year.
- The U.S. Dept. of Education (ED) Direct Loan Program receives the MPN electronically.
- The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships receives the PLUS Loan application electronically
from the ED Direct Loan Program to process the PLUS loan certification.
- The ED Direct Loan Program will complete a credit check as part of the PLUS Loan process
each year after Steps 1 and 2 above have been completed.
- The school and the borrower are notified of the credit approval or denial from the
ED Direct Loan Program.
- If the borrower has an adverse credit history and the PLUS loan is denied, ED Direct Loan Program will automatically send out an endorser addendum giving them the opportunity to obtain an endorser (co-signer) for the PLUS loan. This is just an option, not a requirement.
- If the student is dependent and the Parent PLUS loan is denied, they can request additional
Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds up to the annual limit by submitting an email to email@example.com from their ETSU email address or submitting a signed written statement to the Office
of Financial Aid & Scholarships.
- If you decline your Parent/Graduate Plus Loan in Goldlink and later decide you want the loan please follow step 2.