Advertising is the most common way to let people know about job openings. Because of compliance requirements, all postings must be prior approved by Human Resources. Any person wishing to apply for an advertised position at ETSU will be afforded the opportunity to do so. Applications will only be accepted through the online applicant tracking system.
A recruitment strategy is required for all searches for employees at the University. Recruiting efforts can take many forms, including advertising, networking, job postings on listservs, recruitment efforts made at conferences, and contact with professional associations.
Things to Remember
Posting Minimums (postings close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on the stated closing date, unless listed as open until filled):
- Support Staff/Clerical positions - minimum of five (5) calendar days.
- Faculty and Administrative/Professional positions - minimum of fourteen (14) calendar days.
All external paid advertising (print, electronic media, and/or internet postings) must be approved and processed through eBucs.
Advertisements listed for free must have prior approval from Human Resources ONLY if differing from the official posting in eJobs.
If you are considering equivalences for education and experiences, or wanting to accept part-time, student worker/graduate assistance, and/or volunteer experience, an appropriate statement must be listed as part of the required qualifications.
No advertisement should be posted prior to approval by the Office of Human Resources. Check with your HR Business Partner if you are uncertain about your advertisement. Exceptions to advertising will be made after consultation with Human Resources.
The University's legal obligations as a federal contractor require it to design specific efforts to promote equal employment opportunity. ETSU does not utilize a quota system in its hiring practices but rather demonstrates compliance with AA/EEO through a good faith effort to reach underrepresented populations and create a diverse applicant pool.
- Position description are required to list the essential functions (basic job duties) per the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Must indicate name of university, position title and department, and the posting number (this information is auto-filled in eJobs).
- All advertisements must be reflective of the job posting in eJobs. Job specifications in the external ad should not conflict with the official ETSU job posting.
- Must indicate if the position requires background check.
- Must indicate if the position is:
- Contingent upon Grant, Extramural, or Outside funding
- Search Extended
- For all external advertisements, you must include “apply at” statement with a link
to the main eJobs website and/or to the position ( Example: Apply at: https://jobs.etsu.edu )
- Note: The University’s full AA/EOE statement can be found on every position advertisement page and is not required to be written into your advertisement, but it is best practice. If you want to include a statement, only use: East Tennessee State University (ETSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer or AA/EOE.
- ETSU can only demonstrate a good-faith effort through documentation of an implemented recruitment strategy for Affirmative Action purposes, therefore search committees must submit evidence of their recruitment efforts in the Recruitment Plan section of eJobs.
- All jobs are automatically posted the following:
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
SREB (Faculty, Research, and Fellowship positions ONLY)
- Recruitment and Hiring Standards
- ADA and the Search Process
- ADA Job Description
- Advertisement Verbiage
- Campus Visits and Interviews
- Diversity Links
- Essential Duties
- Minimum and Preferred or Desirable Qualifications
- eJobs Information and Training
- Faculty Handbook
- Evaluation of Oral and Written English Proficiency
- Academic Administrative Personnel Recruitment and Hiring Process
- Office of Disability Services
- Office of Equity and Inclusion
- Office of Veterans Affairs
- Office of University Counsel
- Student Life and Enrollment
- Multicultural Center
- Women's Resource Center
Helpful Tools and Links
- Advertisement Examples
- External Advertisement Decision Tree
- Equivalences for Education and Experiences
- Effective and Inclusive Recruitment Strategies
- Diversity Advertising and Recruitment Resources
- Local and Regional Newspapers
- Office Of the Provost
- Faculty Ranks and Promotion
- SACS/COC Accreditation Standards
- HR Policies and Procedures
- Meet Your HR Business Partner
- eJobs User Guide