ETSU Human Resources
At East Tennessee State University we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. Our mission is to enable the employment, development, and retention of a quality work force that educates and supports our students. Explore our website to discover how Human Resources guides and supports employees by advocating for a healthy work/life balance and providing excellent benefits. Find out how you can contribute to our community by searching our career portal. Discover opportunities to advance your career through training and development. We are here to serve the entire ETSU community.
Employee Spotlights are featured in the Office of Administration's monthly newsletter
- Inside Look. Here you can find previous 'Spotlights' as well as a new site titled Accolades, which highlights ETSU Faculty & Staff achievements and honors.
HR News and Announcements
DISCONTINUE usage of the “Create Onboarding Event”
Please DISCONTINUE usage of the “Create Onboarding Event” link that’s available to Hiring Managers when a Hiring Proposal reaches the status of “Hired.” The Office of Human Resources has developed and implemented a new process for the collection pre-employment documentation from all applicants via the ETSU Dynamic Forms system. This will streamline and simplify the new hire experience and present all offices involved the opportunity to increase overall efficiency. The Onboarding/Employee Records module of eJobs is no longer being used to collect pre-employment documentation, such as Forms I-9 and W-4. An applicant is prompted via automated email to provide these documents via Dynamic Forms when their Hiring Proposal reaches the status of “Hire Approved – HR for Processing.” Human Resources will then update the “Hiring Proposal Documents” section of each Hiring Proposal as these pre-employment documents are completed, prior to moving the Hiring Proposal forward to the status of “Hired.” Hiring Managers will not have access to view these pre-employment documents but they are encouraged to routinely visit the “Hiring Proposal Documents” section of each Hiring Proposal to VERIFY the completion of each pre-employment document for tracking purposes within each department.
Notice Regarding Payroll Processing Over the Break
ETSU's 2021 break begins Friday, Dec. 24, and extends through Friday, Dec. 31. No new full-time/part-time employees will be hired into a budgeted position with an effective starting date of Dec. 1- 31, 2021. Temporary full-/part-time hires may be contracted as usual. The deadline to submit paperwork to HR to be included in the November payroll is Nov. 15. Paperwork received after Nov. 15 will be processed with the December payroll. Please see the approved Holiday Schedules for 2021/2022 posted on the Human Resources website.
Employee Giving Campaign
The annual Employee Charitable Giving Campaign – YOUR CHANGE Can Make a CHANGE – has begun! You can click here to access the giving form and brochure, and help the community or health agency of your choice. Last year, your generosity during the 2020 Employee Charitable Giving Campaign resulted in more than $30,000 being given to local agencies that serve those in need. Forms may be returned to email@example.com or the Office of Human Resources, Box 70564, Burgin Dossett, Room 307. The campaign will conclude Friday, November 5. Thank you for your consideration of making a gift to assist those who are in need.
COVID-19 Leave Parameters
We recognize the COVID-19 pandemic continues to cause difficulties for our employees and their families. We also acknowledge the critical importance to continue educational, clinical, and support services at the highest level possible for all our constituencies during these challenging times. To help address the burden of this situation, ETSU is implementing a procedure through which all employees may be eligible for up to seven (7) additional days of COVID-19 Leave, as detailed further below and effective September 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022. If you have questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org (423) 439-4457.
COVID-19 for Sickness, Exposure, or School Closures
Regular employees may be eligible for up to five (5) days of Administrative Leave if:
- The employee or a member of their household tests positive for COVID-19
- An employee is directed to isolate or quarantine
- An employee must remain home to care for a household member due to a school closure
Remote Work is Preferred
When possible, employees should work remotely rather than utilize administrative leave; if an employee needs to work remotely for more than five (5) consecutive days, the employee and supervisor must complete the forms required under the Temporary Telecommuting Policy. However, we recognize remote work may not be possible if an employee is too sick to work or if their position does not support working remotely. In such cases, the employee may utilize up to five (5) days of additional COVID-19 leave to cover their absence.
- Human Resources may request documentation prior to approving use of leave.
- If the employee must be out longer than five days, the employee may use accrued sick leave to cover the time.
- If the employee’s sick leave is exhausted, leave will be deducted from accrued annual leave.
COVID-19 for Vaccinations
In addition to providing leave for illness, exposure, or family care, ETSU will provide employees with up to (2) additional days of leave to support vaccinations. This leave may be used if vaccinated individuals need time to recover from the side effects of a COVID-19 vaccination or booster shot. Regular employees may receive up to (2) days total in additional leave prior to July 1, 2022, regardless of the number of shots the employee may receive.
- Vaccination leave must be utilized within 48 hours of receiving the vaccine or booster.
- Employees may choose to use this leave following any COVID-19 vaccine dose (first or second shot, boosters, or vaccinations against new variants).
Supervisor COVID-19 Guidance
Temporary Telecommuting Arrangement for Non-Faculty Employees
This emergency policy delegates authority for approving/denying requests for temporary telecommuting to the vice president or dean. Please read the policy and review the Frequently Asked Questions page before submitting a request form. Questions should be sent to email@example.com or to your HR Business Partner.
Town Hall Informational Sessions
Temporary Hires and Contract Renewals
We are happy to announce that Human Resources will start accepting New Temporary Hires and Contract Renewals/Rehires for Fiscal Year 2021/2022 through eJobs and eContracts soon.
- RENEWALS/REHIRES may be processed through the eContracts system starting June 1, 2021.
- NEW temporary hires with a July 1, 2021 or later start date, will be processed through eJobs starting June 1, 2021.
- All requests for renewals/rehires and new temporary hires must utilize the newly assigned Temporary Position Numbers found on the HR Public SharePoint page.
- If the start date for the contract (new hire or renewal) is prior to July 1, 2021, please continue to process the hire through dynamic forms.
- Training opportunities will be announced soon. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your HR Business Partner, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org call the Human Resources office anytime Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.