East Tennessee State University has a firm commitment to performance evaluation of University personnel, whatever their category and level, through the medium of a formalized system. The primary purpose of such evaluation is to assist personnel in professional development and in achieving University goals. The procedures addressed here apply to full-time, non-faculty University employee. Faculty evaluation is addressed under a separate program.
The 2019-2020 non-faculty annual performance evaluations are open and due March 30, 2020. Due to the precautions related to the COVID-19 virus we understand that employees who do not have access to a computer may need to complete their portion of the review process at a later date but ask that supervisors and employees make the effort to complete the 2019-2020 Annual Performance Review program as soon as reasonably possible.
Probationary and annual evaluations for university staff are conducted through the electronic evaluations system. Temporary employees, graduate assistants and student workers are not evaluated through this system. eVals allows supervisors and employees to create and store performance-related progress notes, make comments about an evaluation, and submit the evaluations electronically through the appropriate signatory chain to Human Resources.
You will receive an email if you have an "action item" in the eVals system. To complete your action item, follow the instructions in the email or download one of the quickguides.
Log in with your ETSU username (e.g. smithj) and password.
- Taking Action on Your Evaluation (video)
- Annual Evaluation Instructions (pdf)
- Probationary Evaluation Instructions (pdf)
- Supervisors' Reviews Dashboard (pdf)
- Direct reporting is managed in Banner and can be updated through the TRS timekeeping system. Supervisors can view a list of their employees in the Employee Dashboard/Self Service portal on GoldLink using the My Team link. Your department timekeeper can request changes to a supervisor's direct reports.
- Refer to the procedures on Employee Performance Evaluation and/or Progressive Discipline.
- Visit the Position Classification website for information on auditing or changing a position description. Current versions of position descriptions can be found in the Position Description Library.
- Download draft versions of the probationary and annual evaluations from the Human Resources Documents and Forms website.
- Visit the eTraining webpage for videos and training related to conducting performance evaluations.