Dr. Ying Liu
M.S. University of Rhode Island Statistics 2003
- Biostatistics I (BSTA 5310)
- SAS Programming with Application in Public Health (BSTA 6170)
- Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis (BSTA5385)
- Research incentive College of Public Health, ETSU 06/2018, 06/2019
- Teaching incentive College of Public Health, ETSU 06/2018, 06/2019
- Best SAS paper in Data Visualization and Graphics 08/2012
- Travel Award Midwest SAS group conference Minneapolis, Minnesota 09/ 2012
- Travel Award The Fifth Conference on New Developments of Statistical Analysis, Missouri, USA. 10/2004
- Co-I NIH/NIDCR R01 DE028548-01A1 Mechanobehavior distinguishes mandibular growth differences in two facial types. (PI: Laura Iwasaki) 08/01/2019-06/30/2024.
- Biostatistician NIH/NIAID R01 AI114748-05S1 Gender difference in miRNA-mediated T cell aging during viral infection. (PI: Zhiqiang Yao) work from 07/17/2019
- Co-I American Association of Orthodontists Foundation (type: Biomedial Research Award) Mechanobehavior and autonomic function in adolescents of two facial types (PI: Jeffrey C. Nickel) 07/01/2019-06/30/2022
- Consultant NIH/NIDA R01 DA044014-02S1 NJ Methadone Maintenance Subject Recruitment for Genomic Analyses and Repository Expansion Supplement (PI: Eric Johnson, CO-PI: Stan Weiss) 03/01/2018-02/28/2022
- PI DGA3217 the State of Tennessee Commission on Aging and Disability Oral Health in the Older Adult Population: Assessment in Tennessee. 12/07/2018-08/30/2021.
- Co-I 19-004ID ETSU RDC Interdisciplinary Grant Pilot study of the impact of screening for subclinical atherosclerosis on health, behavioral, and psychosocial outcomes in asymptomatic individuals (PI: Dr. H. Mamudu) 07/01, 2018 – 06/30, 2019
- C9221-F Veteran Affairs (VA) Research Enhancement Award Program (REAP) Auditory and Vestibular Dysfunction Research Rehabilitation Enhancement Award Program (P.I: F. Akin) Role: Biostatistician (worked from 01/ 2018 to present)
- Biostatistician ACTG study Sex Differences in the Effects of major depressive disorder on adherence to antiretroviral therapy, laboratory progression markers and clinical outcomes in HIV-infected patients in the USA. (PI: Karl Goodkin) Role: Biostatistician (from 01/2017 -08/2019)
- PI ETSU RDC Major grant 18-003M Detection of risk factors and trends of oral health among U.S. veterans. 07/01/2017-06/30/2018.
- Co-I ASHP Foundation (American society of hospital pharmacists) Analysis of stain utilization rate in primary care clinic before and after ACC/AHA cholesterol guidelines (PI: R. Hess) 08/01/2016-07/31/2017 Role: Biostatistician.
- CO-I: NIH/NIDCR R01 DE021134 (Administrative Supplement) Integrating Biomechanics and Cell Biology to Understand TMJ Pathology. (PI: Dr. H. Yao) 03/06/2012-02/28/2017 Role: Biostatistician
- CO-I: NIH/NIA P01AG0309355 Osteocyte Regulation of Bone/Muscle with Age. (PI: Dr. L. Bonewlad) 05/01/2012-04/30/2017 Role: Biostatistician
- Co-I: NIH/NIDCR R01 DE021462 Understanding the Mechanism of Radiotherapy-Induced Dentition Breakdown. (PI: Dr. MP Walker) 09/03/2010-08/31/2015 Role: Biostatistician
- Co-I: NIH/NIDCR R01 DE021431 Multifunctional Non-thermal Plasma for Robust Dental Bonding. (PI: Dr. Y Wang) 7/1/2011-6/30/2016 Role: Biostatistician
- CO-PI: Harvey W. Peters Research Foundation Prevalence of Jones' Iliacus Tenderpoints in the Young Adult population. (PI: Dr. J. Palmer) 09/01/2008-08/31/2010. Role: Biostatistician
- NPS (National park system) Project: Ecological Thresholds and Structured Decision Analysis of Stream Health in the Mid_Atlantic and Eastern Rivers and Mountains Vital Signs Networks (PI: Dr. EP Smith) 09/01/2007-08/31/2009 Role: Biostatistician
- Li Y, Wang K, Zhang P, Huang J, Liu Y, Wang Z, Lu Y, Tan S, Yang F, Tan Y. Pyrosequencing analysis of IRS1 methylation levels in schizophrenia with tardive dyskinesia. Molecular Medicine Reports 2020; 21(4): 1702-1708.
- Ozodiegwu I, Mamudu H, Wang L, Wallace R, Quinn MA, Liu Y, Henry DV, Country-level analysis of the association between maternal obesity and neonatal mortality in 34 sub-Saharan African countries. Ann Glob Health. 2019; 85(1):139. PMID: 31857945
- Liu Y, Ifeoma D. Ozodiegwu, Wang K, Wang L, Ning S, Zheng S, Lu Y, Prevalence of metabolic conditions differentiated by BMI in U.S. adults. Journal of Integrate Cardiology 2019; DOI: 10.31487/j.JICOA.2019.04.07
- Liu Y, Wang K. Comparisons of four discrete distribution in count regression using elders’s missing teeth data J Biom Biostat 2019; 10:427
- Wang N, Ouedraogo Y, Chu J, Liu Y, Wang K, Xie X. Variable reduction for past year alcohol and drug use in unmet need for mental health services among US adults. J Affect Disord. 2019; PMID: 31174026
- Liu Y, Collins C, Wang K, Xie X, Bie R. The prevalence and trend of depression among veterans in the United States. J Affect Disord. 2019; 245 (2): 724-727. PMID: 30699861
- Wang K, Chen X, Ward S, Liu Y, Ouedraogo Y, Xu C, Cederbaum AI, Lu Y. CYP2A6 is associated with obesity: studies in human samples and a high fat diet mouse model. Int J Obes (Lond) 2019; 43(4):475-486 PMID: 29568101.
- Alhassan AB, Liu Y, Slawson DL, Peterson JM, Marrs JS, Clark WA, Alanaim A. The influence of maternal body mass index and physical activity on select cardiovascular risk factors of preadolescent Hispanic children. Peer J. 2018; 6:e600. PMID: 30581681
- Liu Y, Bie R, Iwasaki LR, Nickel JC. Prevalence differentiations of periodontitis by diabetic status among U.S. adults. J. Diabetes 2018; 10(11): 896-898 PMID: 29761666.
- Wang K, Liu Y, Ouedraogo Y, Wang N, Xie X, Xu C, Luo X. Principal component analysis of early alcohol, drug and tobacco use with major depressive disorder in US adults. J Psychiatr Res. 2018; 100:113-120 PMID: 29518578
- Xie X, Wang N, Liu Y, Gender and age differences in the influence of behavioral factors, mental health and chronic diseases on the use of type 2 diabetes screening in US adults. Glob Health Res Policy. 2018; 3:9 PMID: 29619411
- Zheng S, Strasser S, Holt Nicole, Quinn M, Liu Y, Morrell C. Stratified Multilevel Logistic Regression Modeling for Risk Factors of Adolescent Obesity in Tennessee International Journal of high Risk Behaviors and Addiction. 2018; 7(3): e59597.
- Liu Y, Yu Y, Iwasaki LR, Nickel JC, Duan P, Simmer-Beck S , Brown L. Gender differences
in the association of periodontitis and type 2 diabetes. Int Dent J. 2018; 68(6):433-440
PMID: 29786140. Released by two medias out of ETSU: http://www.irishdentistry.ie/periodontitis-type-ii-diabetes-link-stronger-men/
- Gong S, Su BB, Tovar H, Mao C, Gonzalez V, Liu Y, Lu Y, Wang KS, Xu C. Polymorphisms within RYR3 gene are Associated with Risk and Age at Onset of Hypertension, Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease Am J Hypertens. 2018; 31(7):818-826 PMID: 29590321
- Griffin JWD, Liu Y, Bradshaw PC, Wang K In Silico Preliminary Association of Ammonia Metabolism Genes GLS, CPS1, and GLUL with Risk of Alzheimer's Disease, Major Depressive Disorder, and Type 2 Diabetes J Mol Neurosci. 2018; 64(3):385-396 PMID: 29441491
- Gallo LM, Fankhauser N, Gonzalez YM, Liu H, Liu Y, Nickel JC, Iwasaki LR Jaw Closing Movements and Sex Differences in Temporomandibular Joint Energy Densities J Oral Rehabil. 2018; 45(2): 97-10. PMID: 29164651
- Wang KS, Liu Y, Gong S, Xu C, Xie X, Wang L, Luo X. Bayesian Cox Proportional Hazards Model in Survival Analysis of HACE1 Gene with Age at Onset of Alzheimer's Disease. Int J Clin Biostat Biom. 2017; 3(1). PMID: 29430571
- Wang K, Liu X, Ategbole M, Xie X, Liu Y, Xu C, Xie C, Sha Z. . Generalized linear mixed model analysis of Urban-Rural differences in social and behavioral factors for colorectal cancer screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017; 18(9):2581-2589. PMID: 28952708
- Wang K, Liu Y, Xie X, Gong S, Xu C, Sha Z. Principal component regression analysis of nutrition factors and physical activity with diabetes. J Biom Biostat 2017; 8:4.
- Liu Y, Sayam S, Shao X, Wang K, Zheng S, Li Y, Wang L. Prevalence of and trends in diabetes
among veterans in the United States, 2005-2014. Prev Chronic Dis 2017; 14:E135 PMID:29240552
Released by medias:
Healthy Day: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-prevalence-diabetes-tops-percent-veterans.html
Renal & Urology News: https://www.renalandurologynews.com/home/news/nephrology/diabetes/more-than-one-in-five-us-veterans-has-diabetes/
Endocrine today: https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/in-the-journals/%7B8b380efc-a265-455b-bbe3-3ec13918c412%7D/nhanes-nearly-25-of-us-veterans-have-diabetes
- Liu Y, Ozodiegwu ID, Nickel JC, Wang K, Iwasaki LR. Self-reported health and behavioral factors are associated with metabolic syndrome in Americans aged 40 and over. Prev Med Rep. 2017; 7:193-197. PMID: 28725542
- Liu Y, Ozodiegwu ID, Yu Y, Hess R, Bie R. An association of health behaviors with depression and metabolic risk: data from 2007-2014 U.S. National Health and Nutrition and Examination Survey. J Affect Disord. . 2017; 217 (8): 190-196. PMID: 28412644
- Wang K, Liu Y, Xu C, Liu X, Luo X. Family-based association analysis of NAV2 gene with the risk and age at onset of Alzheimer’s disease. J Neuroimmunol 2017; 310:60-65. PMID: 28778446
- Iwasaki LR, Liu Y, Liu H, Nickel JC. Speed of human tooth movement in growers and non-growers: Selection of applied stress matters Orthod Craniofac Res 2017; 1:63-67. PMID: 28643922
- Nickel JC, Weber AL, Riffle PC, Liu Y, Liu H, Iwasaki LR. Mechanobehavior in dolichofacial and brachyfacial adolescents. Orthod Craniofac Res 2017; 1:139-144. PMID: 28643919
- Iwasaki LR, Liu Y, Liu H, Nickel JC. Jaw mechanics in dolichofacial and brachyfacial phenotypes: A longitudinal cephalometric-based study. Orthod Craniofac Res 2017; Suppl 1:145-150. PMID: 28643908
- Iwasaki LR., Gonzale Y, Liu Y, Liu H, Markova M, Gallo L, Nickel JC,. Mechanobehavioral Scores in Women with and without TMJ Disc Displacement J. Dent. Res 2017; 96(8):895-901 PMID: 28414608
- Gong S, Xu C, Wang L, Liu Y, Owusu D, Bailey, Li Y, Wang K. Genetic association analysis of polymorphisms in PSD3 gene with obesity, type 2 diabetes, and HDL cholesterol. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017; 126:105-114. PMID: 28237857
- Iwasaki LR, Gonzalez YM, Liu Y, Liu H, Markova M, Gallo LM, Nickel JC. TMJ Energy Densities in Healthy Men and Women. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2017; 25(6):846-849. PMID: 28064032
- Liu Y, Wang K, Maisonet M, Wang L, Zheng S. Associations of lifestyle factors: smoking, alcohol consumption, diet and physical activity with type 2 diabetes among American adults from NHANES 2005-2014. J. Diabetes. 2017; 9(9):846-854. PMID: 27753238
- Parsel SM, Gustafson SA, Friedlander E, Shnyra AA, Adegbulu AJ, Liu Y, Parrish NM, Jamal SA, Lofthus E, Ayuk L, Awasom C, Henry CJ, McArthur CP. Malaria diagnosis in Cameroon: diagnostic accuracy of Fluorescence and Staining technologies (FAST) malaria stain and LED microscopy versus Giemsa and bright field microscopy validated by polymerase chain reaction. Infect Dis Poverty. 2017; 6:32. PMID: 28372570
- Carpino R, Walker MP, Liu Y, Simmer-Beck M. Assessing the effectiveness of a School-Based Dental Workforce Model on Oral Health of children who lack access to dental care: a program evaluation. J Sch Nurs. 2017; 33 (3):181-188. PMID: 27698209
- Liu Y, Yu Y, Wang K, Boles CD, November-Rider D, Yadav R, Collins C. Frequency of not-home prepared meals and diet quality are associated with depression and metabolic syndrome among US adults. Diabetes Obes Int J. 2016; 1(7):000139.
- Wang K, Liu X, Xie C, Liu Y, Xu C. Non-Parametric Survival Analysis of EPG5 Gene with Age at Onset of Alzheimer's Disease. J Mol Neurosci 2016; 60 (4): 436-444. PMID: 27586004
- Wang Y, Parsel S, Shnyra A, Parrish N, Boyce K, Liu Y McArthur C. A-fodrin Autoantigen Detection in Saliva and on Salivary Ductal Cells in Sjögren Syndrome. J. Dent. Sci. Ther 2016; 1(2): 5-14.
- Reynolds A, Nickel JC, Liu Y, Leeper DK, Riffel KM, Liu H, Iwasaki LR: Sex differences in jaw muscle duty factors during exercise in two environments: A pilot study. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2016; 30:15-22. PMID: 27236045
- Liu Y. the differentiations of self-reported oral health between U.S. non-citizens and citizens. Int Dent J. 2016; 66 (6): 350-355. PMID: 27424563
- Wang K, Liu Y, Gong S, Pan Y, Wang L, Xie C. Model selection in survival analysis of EXT2 gene polymorphisms with age at onset of type 2 diabetes. Bioinform Biol Syst. 2016; 1:1-9.
- Liu Y, Bai X, Liu Y, Wang Y Light-cured Self-Etch Adhesives Undergo Hydroxypatite-Triggered Self-cure. J Dent Res. 2016; 95(3):334-41 PMID: 26635279
- Boles CD, Liu Y, November-Rider D. Readability levels of dental patient education materials Journal of Dental Hygiene. 2016; 90(1):28-34. PMID: 26896514
- Collins C*, Wang K, Xie X, Liu Y. the prevalence and trend of depression among U.S. veterans. The Appalachian Student Research Forum (ASFR). April 5-6,2018 ETSU. [Local organization]
- Ozodiegwu ID. Wang K, Lu K, Liu Y. Prevalence of chronic conditions by BMI category and undiagnosed status in the U.S Adult Population. The Appalachian Student Research Forum (ASFR). April 5-6, 2018 ETSU. [Local organization]
- Famojuro O*, Fapo O, Zheng S, Liu Y. Association between substance use
and obesity among adults in the U.S. findings from 2016 BRFSS. The Appalachian Student Research Forum (ASFR). April 5-6, 2018 ETSU. [Local organization]
- Iwasaki LR., Gonzale Y, Liu Y, Liu H, Markova M, Gallo L, Nickel JC . Gender and Motion Differences in TMJ mechanical Energy Density AADR/CADR Annual Meeting March 21-24, 2018 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. [international organization]
- Ouedraogo Y, Liu Y, Yongke Lu, Wang K. Pleiotropic effects of single nucleotide polymorphophisms of EDIL3 gene: Association with cancer, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. Atlanta, GA. Nov.4-8 2017. Oral presentation. [National organization]
- Wang N, Ouedraogo Y, Liu Y, Xie X. Factor structure of past alcohol and drug use with unmet of mental health services use among US adults: results from the NSDUH 2015. Atlanta, GA. Nov.4-8 2017. [National organization]
- Umwali Y, Zheng S, Veeranki SP, Liu Y, Elom H. Obesity among first and second generation Hispanic adolescents in the United States: Insights from 2011-2012 National Survey of Children's Health. Atlanta, GA. Nov.4-8 2017. [National organization]
- Wang K, Liu X, Liu Y, Choksi C, Xu C, Xie C. Longitudinal study of treatment effects on opioid dependence using linear mixed models in a clinical trial. Atlanta, GA. Nov.4-8 2017. [National organization]
- Wang K, Liu Y, Wang N, Hilary Elom, Xie X, Wang L. Weighted principal component regression analysis of cancer information seeking behaviors with colorectal cancer screening. Atlanta, GA. Nov.4-8 2017. [National organization]
- Xu C, Liu Y, Nwabueze C, Liu S, Luo X, Wang K. Substance use, mood and anxiety disorders among
opioid dependence in a randomized trial. Atlanta, GA. Nov.4-8 2017. [National organization]
- Editorial board member of J. of Sci. Med- Mathematics and Statistics
- Editorial board member of J. of Sci. Med- Dentistry
- Editorial board member of Austin Journal of Dentistry
- Editorial board member of Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome
- Member, American Public Health Association. 2017-present
- Member, American Association for Dental Research 2013-present
- Member, American Dental Education Association 2010-Present
- Member, American Statistics Association (ASA) 2003-present
- Member, Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS) 2002- present
- Member, Mu Sigma Rho, National Statistics Honor Society 2008-present
Yoga, fishing, traveling, music