Shimin Zheng, Ph.D.
Shimin Zheng, Ph.D.
M.S. in Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Ph.D. in Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham
MS. in Mathematics, University of Alabama at Birmingham
• Biostatistics (BSTA 5310)
• Intermediate Biostatistics (BSTA 5350)
• Categorical Data Analysis (BSTA 5370)
• Survival Analysis in Public Health (BSTA 5390)
• SAS Programming with Stat Apps (BSTA 6170)
• Advanced Multivariate Analysis (BSTA 6410)
• Applied Epidemiologic Analysis (EPID 6420)
• 2009: Dept. of Family Med, University of Iowa, Work Performance Award.
• 2013: Appalachian Student Research Forum, 3rd prize as sponsoring faculty.
• 2014: Appalachian Student Research Forum, 2nd prize as a co-author.
• 2015: Appalachian Student Research Forum, 2nd prize as sponsoring faculty.
• 2016: Appalachian Student Research Forum, 2nd prize as sponsoring faculty.
• 2016: Foundation Teaching Award, College of Public Health, ETSU.
• 2017: Nominated by CPH for Univ. distinguished teaching faculty awards.
• 2017: Appalachian Student Research Forum, first prize as faculty sponsor.
• 2017: Appalachian Student Research Forum, first prize as a biostatistician.
• Statistical distribution theory
• Longitudinal data analysis
• Categorical data analysis
• Statistical simulation and computation
• Multivariate analysis
• Survival analysis
• Sample size and power
• Model selection
• Cardiovascular disease, obesity, cancer, depression and substance abuse
- N. Chernov, Shimin Zheng. Linearization of regression problems with optimal weights. Presentation at 2006 Hawaii International Conference on Statistics, Mathematics and Related Fields, January 16, 2006 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Rao U, Huang D, Shimin Zheng, Bidesi A: Effect of early adversity on hippocampal volume in depressed adolescents. Presented at the 46th Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Boca Raton, FL, December 9-13, 2007.
- Huang D, Shimin Zheng, Bidesi A, Rao U: Hippocampal changes associated with adolescent depression. Presented at the The 46th Annual Medical Student Research Forum, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, January 22, 2008.
- Gerald Jogerst Gerald, Jogerst Mee, Young Kim, Shimin Zheng. Predictors of Acceptable Treatments for Late-life Depression, accepted by the NAPCRG Program Committee for presentation at the 2009 NAPCRG Annual Meeting being held Nov 14-18, 2009 at Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel, West Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- David Blackley, Shimin Zheng, and Winn Ketchum. (2012, April 5). Implementing A Spatial Smoothing Algorithm To Help Identify A Lung Cancer Belt In The United States. Poster session presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Yang Chen, Shimin Zheng, and Liang Wang. (2013, April 4). The relationship between Calcium Intake and Hypertension among Obese Adults. Oral presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN. (won the 3rd prize)
- Kate Callahan, Shimin Zheng, and Colleen Scott. (2013, April 4). Trends and Characteristics of Occupational Lyme Disease In Maine, 1999-2011. Poster session presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Yang Chen, Katie Callahan, David Blackley, Yan Cao, Shimin Zheng.(2013) Calcium intake associated with risk factors for cardiovascular disease among obese adults. Submitted for the APHA-Student Assembly program of the 141st APHA Annual Meeting (Nov. 2 - 6, 2013), Boston, MA.
- Megan Quinn, Shimin Zheng, Hadii M. Mamudu, Martin Whiteside, James L. Anderson. (2013) Adolescent and young adult cancer in Tennessee: An overview of findings. Submitted for the Cancer Forum program of the 141st APHA Annual Meeting (Nov. 2 - 6, 2013), Boston, MA.
- Joseph Ikekwere, Megan Quinn and Shimin Zheng. (2014, April 2-3). Cancer of the urinary bladder: gender differences as predictors of tumor grade. Poster session presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN. (won the 2nd prize).
- Shimin Zheng, Mogusu, E., & Kozinetz, C. (2015). Consequential Population Health Data: Making the Case for Prenatal Cigarette Smoking Cessation Interventions. Annals of Epidemiology, 25(9), 711. Poster presentation at the American College of Epidemiology ACE 2015 annual scientific session. The Courtyard Atlanta Decatur Downtown/Emory (September 26-29, 2015), Atlanta, Georgia.
- Shimin Zheng, Mogusu, E., & Kozinetz, C. (2015). Consequential Population Health Data: Making the Case for Prenatal Cigarette Smoking Cessation Interventions. Annals of Epidemiology, 25(9), 711. Poster presentation at the Tennessee Public Health Association 2015 TPHA annual educational conference, (September 9-11, 2015), Franklin, Tennessee.
- Ashraf AbuSara, Shimin Zheng*, Yan Cao, Hemang B Panchal, Samit Bhatheja, Eunice Mogusu, Timir Kumar Paul. (2015) National Trend in Multivessel Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus in the United States. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 66(15_S). Poster presentation at TCT Conference 2015 (October 11-15, 2015) in San Francisco, CA.
- Mogusu, E., Shimin Zheng*, Veeranki, S.P., Kioko, D., & Quinn, M (2015, November). Association of vitamin D deficiency with high cholesterol levels. Poster presentation at the 143rd APHA Annual Meeting and Exposition (October 31-November 4, 2015), Chicago, Illinois. APHA. Also featured on the ETSU Center of Excellence for Inflammation, Infectious Disease and Immunity website http://www.etsu.edu/com/ciidi/ default.aspx.
- Shimin Zheng*, Mogusu, E., Veeranki, S.P., Cao, Y., & Quinn, M., (2015, November). Relationship between mean, median and mode with grouped data. Poster presentation at the 143rd APHA Annual Meeting and Exposition (October 31-November 4, 2015), Chicago, Illinois. APHA.
- Eunice Mogusu, Sreenivas, P Veeranki, Claudia Kozinetz, Yan Cao, Shimin Zheng*. (2015, April 8 – 9). Epidemiology of preterm births in the United States. Oral presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN. (won the 2nd prize).
- Nicole Holt, Ronald C. Hamdy, Shimin Zheng*, Andrew Clark, Arsham Alamian, Casey Morrell, Tommy B. Piggee, Christian Magallanes. (2016, April 7–8). Efficacy of osteoporosis diagnosis using dxa scans of the distal radius in a group of male patients with osteoporosis: a retrospective study. Poster presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Mark Dula, Eunice Mogusu, Sheryl Strasser, Ying Liu, Shimin Zheng*. (2016, April 7–8). Median and mode approximation for skewed unimodal continuous distributions using Taylor series expansion. Poster presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Chukwuemeka Ogbu, Sheryl Strasser, Casey Morrell, Nicole Holt, Shimin Zheng*. (2016, April 7–8). Association between physical fighting and risk factors in middle school students in Tennessee: data from the 2013 Tennessee youth risk behavior survey. Poster presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN. (won the 2nd prize).
- Panchal HB, Zheng S, Abusara A, Mogusu E, Paul TK. National Trend in Hospitalization Cost for In-patient
Single Vessel Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Patients with and without Diabetes
Mellitus in the United States: An Analysis from Nationwide Inpatient Sample from 2006-2011.Transcatheter
Cardiovascular Therapeutic (TCT) Scientific Conference, Washington DC 2016.
Remark: *Sponsoring faculty.
- Karan P. Singh, Alfred A.Bartolucci, Shimin Zheng. (2003). Mixed-Effects Linear Models based on Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions. Advances and Applications in Statististics, 3(2):135-143.
- Shimin Zheng, Sejong Bae, Alfred A.Bartolucci and Karan P. Singh. Power Exponential Distributions. (2003). International Journal of Reliability and Applications, 4(3):97-111.
- Alfred A.Bartolucci, Shimin Zheng, and Karan P. Singh. (2003). Random Regression Models Based on the Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions with Applications to Longitudinal Data. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, 2(2):359-370.
- Shimin Zheng, Uma Rao, Alfred A. Bartolucci, and Karan P. Singh. (2009). Random Regression Models Based on the Skew Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions with Applications to Longitudinal Data. Journal of Applied Probability and Statistics, 4(1):21-32.
- Michael E. Ernst, Barry L. Carter, Shimin Zheng, Richard H. Grimm. (2010). Meta-Analysis of Dose-response Characteristics of Hydrochlorothiazide and Chlorthalidone: Effects on Systolic Blood Pressure and Potassium. American Journal of Hypertension, 23(4):440-446.
- Cynthia A. Weber, Michael E. Ernst, Genesis S. Sezate, Shimin Zheng, Barry L. Carter. (2010). Pharmacist-Physician Comanagement of Hypertension Reduces 24-hour Ambulatory Blood Pressures. Arch Intern Med, 170(18):1634-1639.
- Shimin Zheng, J. M. Hardin and A. K. Gupta. (2012). The Inverse Problem of Multivariate and Matrix Variate Skew Normal Distribution. Statistics -- A Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 46(3):361-371.
- Gerald J. Jogerst MD, Jeanette M. Daly RH, PhD, Shimin Zheng, Yinghui Xu. (2012). Substance Abuse Associated with Elder Abuse in the United States. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 38(1):63-69.
- Shimin Zheng, A. K. Gupta. (2012). A New Approach to Statistical Efficiency of Weighted Least Squares Fitting Algorithms for Reparameterization of Nonlinear Regression Models. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 142(4):1001-1008.
- David Blackley, Behringer, Bruce, Shimin Zheng. (2012). Cancer Mortality Rates in Appalachia: Descriptive Epidemiology and an Approach to Explaining Differences in Outcomes. Journal of Community Health, 37(4):804-813.
- David Blackley, Shimin Zheng, Winn Ketchum. (2012). Implementing a weighted spatial smoothing algorithm to identify a lung cancer belt in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology, 36(5):436-438.
- Yang Chen, Sheryl Strasser, Yan Cao, Ke-Sheng Wang and Shimin Zheng. (2015). Calcium Intake and Hypertension Among Obese Adults in U.S.: Associations and Implications Explored. Journal of Human Hypertension, published online, 15 January 2015, doi:10.1038/jhh.2014.126.
- Shimin Zheng, Jeff Knisley, Kesheng Wang. (2016). Moments and quadratic forms of matrix variate skew normal distribution. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Method, 45(3); 794-803.
- Sreenivas P Veeranki, James L Anderson, Shimin Zheng. (2014). Trends and Determinants of Up-to-date Screening Status of Colorectal Cancer, Tennessee, 2002-2008. International Journal of Preventive Medicine, 5(7); 865-74.
- Sheryl M. Strasser, Megan Smith, Scott Weaver, Shimin Zheng, Yan Cao. (2013). Screening for Elder Mistreatment among Older Adults Seeking Legal Assistance Services. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 14(4); 309-315.
- Southerland J, Shimin Zheng, Mark Dula, Yan Cao, Slawson D. (2016). Relationship Between Physical Activity and Suicidal Behaviors Among 65,182 Middle School Students. Journal of Physical Activity & Health. 13(8); 809-815.
- Claudia Kozinetz, Shimin Zheng, Eunice Mogusu. (2017). The Use of Vital Statistics Data for Population Health: Birth Outcomes in a Rural Region. Journal of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine. 3(1): 123.
- Shimin Zheng, Eunice Mogusu, Sreenivas P Veeranki, Megan Ashley Quinn and Yan Cao. (2017). The Relationship Between the Mean, Median and Mode with Unimodal Grouped Data. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Method. 46(9); 4285-4295.
- Reddy K, Kearns M, Alvarez-Arango S, Carillo-Martin I, Cuervo-Pardo N, Cuervo-Pardo L, Dimov V, Lang D, Lopez-Alvarez S, Schroer B, Dula M, Shimin Zheng, Kozinetz C, Gonzalez-Estrada A. (June 2018). YouTube and Food Allergy: An Appraisal of the Educational Quality of Information. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2018:29(4); 410-416.
- Shimin Zheng, Sheryl Strasser, Nicole Holt, Megan Quinn, Ying Liu, Casey Morrell. (Sep 2018). Stratified Multilevel Logistic Regression Modeling for Risk Factors of Adolescent Obesity in Tennessee. International Journal of High Risk Behaviors and Addiction. 7(3): e58597.
- Aubrey Sciara, Brooke Beasley, Jessica Crawford, Emma Pendola, Tiffani Carrasco, Shimin Zheng, Gregory Ordway, Michelle Chandley. (Published online, Accepted on 16 Feb, 2020). Neuroin-flammatory Gene Expression Increases in Anterior Cingulate Cortical White and Gray Matter of Males with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The International Society for Autism Research. DOI:10.1002/aur.2284.
- Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Cardiovascular Conditioning in the Treatment of Vocal Fatigue. NIH R15 (8/1/2019-7/31/2022).
- Shimin Zheng (Co- I). Neuroinflammatory mediators of glutamatergic and GABAergic neuropathology in the anterior cingulate cortex of autism spectrum disorder. NIH R15 (4/10/2019–4/9/2022).
- Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Adverse Childhood Experiences at a HIV clinic in rural Appalachia: a pilot study to assess HIV/AIDs treatment barriers. ETSU RDC (7/1/2019-6/30/2020).
- Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Evaluation of the South Carolina Initiative to Reduce Unintended Pregnancy. Funding agency: Anonymous (Feb 2017 – present).
- Shimin Zheng (Co-PI). TBR Diversity Research Grants. Characterization of the metabolic profile of Hispanic at-risk pediatric population in Northeast Tennessee (07/01/2014-06/30/2015).
- Shimin Zheng (Co-PI). TBR Diversity Research Grants. Distal Radius Bone Mineral Density (BMD): Diagnosis and Follow-up of Male Patients with Osteoporosis (07/01/2014-06/30/2016).
- Shimin Zheng (Subcontract PI). Georgia Substance Use Prevention Outcomes Project (GSUPOP). Funding agency: Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (11/1/2014 - 10/31/2015).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Interventions to Improve Colon Cancer Screening in Poor Rural Iowa Counties. ACS (2008-2010).
- Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Comparative Effectiveness of FIT vs. colonoscopy for colon cancer screening. NIH R15 (2009-2010).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Management by Primary Care Clinicians of Patients Suspected of Having Community-Acquired, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (CA-MRSA). AHRQ (Aug 2008-Aug 2010).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Iowa Research Network (IRENE): A Rural Primary Care Practice Based Research Network. AHRQ (Aug 2008-Aug 2010).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician). An evaluation of the Wise QI program screening. NIH R15 (2008-2009).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Treatment prediction in adolescent and adult depression. NIH R15 (2006-2008).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Stress response and smoking cessation in youth using a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled design. NIH R15 (2006-2008).
- Shimin Zheng (Statistician) Risk for substance abuse in depressed adolescents. NIH R01 (2006-2008).